Thursday, October 14, 2010

Official complaint procedure

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/AboutCouncil/ContactUs/Pages/Complaints.aspx

What happens when people are dissatisfied? The most constructive action would be to provide feedback to the city itself through the traditional way: lodge complaints. This is a page on complaint procedure for City of Melbourne, clearly listing how your complaint will be investigated, the time needed, and even stating the privacy protection issue.

As we compare it to Singapore’s, which is not as clear and direct. I had trouble locating where to file a complaint, which I later realized there, was no such section. The nearest I could get was the general feedback page. http://www.ecitizen.gov.sg/feedback.html

The general feedback page made no promises regarding time and procedure. “If you have any feedback and suggestions on a particular government policy or issue, you can use the General Feedback Form below and we will help to bring your feedback to the attention of the relevant government agencies, which will reply directly to you.” (eCitizen 2010)

As a visitor or resident, easy navigation to complaint department gives me assurance that I can voice out when things happen. I am quite surprised to realize the absence of complaint procedure for Singapore as I had always thought we focus on importance of transparency.

A clear complaint channel for public strongly affects their perception on the city/country itself. When the city welcomes complaints, it helps to gain trust among people, as they feel that their opinions and views are being valued and taken seriously. How the city respond to complaints is equally important too as it affects consumer choice, similarly to how a consumer chooses a company.


References

Singapore Government 2010, One-stop General Feedback Channel, eCitizen, viewed 9 October 2010, <http://www.ecitizen.gov.sg/feedback.html>.

Melbourne City Council 2010, Complaint procedure, City of Melbourne, viewed 9 October 2010, <http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/AboutCouncil/ContactUs/Pages/Complaints.aspx>.

No comments:

Post a Comment